1 Buying a Raspberry Pi
This is probably slightly ephemeral, but still - following our Raspberry Pi workshop, finding the best/cheapest places to buy your Pi is not that trivial.
CPC Farnell is good for the Pi and PSU:
I have tried to get some really cheap PSUs from China, but they did not work so well, so it's probably not a bad idea to get that one.
A case is a good idea:
- Raspberry Pi Computer Case, cheapest case on eBay UK, £1.95
- Black Flip Top Raspberry Pi Case, £2.95, has a "flip top" as the name suggests, which could be very handy. I would go for that if you'll be attached cameras, GPIOs etc.
SD card. For some applications, you might want your SD card to sit nice and flush in the case:
- TF Card To Micro SD Card Adapter Module For Raspberry Pi, £1.08 (China). They can easily be a few pounds, so this might be worth the wait!
- For the card itself, worth going for class 10 UHS-1, which costs about £8 for 16GB, £15 for 32GB, and £30 for 64GB (for branded cards).
- If you are going for a standard size SD card, you seem to be able to get branded 64GB cards for just over £20.
So a 16GB microSD setup would cost you about £43.50, and a bit more if you want a larger capacity.
See also: W:Blog/20140330_Buying_a_Raspberry_Pi
The specific components below are for illustration only! Most similar things will do!
If you are starting out, you may want to get a pre-assembled kit, that allows you to do something, such as
- BerryClip+ (see also http://blog.soton.ac.uk/pi/modules-available/berry-clip/)
If you feel confident that you want to delve into electronics, you could look at this:
- Some mini-breadboards and breakout boards: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GPiO-Breakout-for-Raspberry-Pi-Breadboard-Cobbler-/191083875419 http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Transparent-400-Point-Solderless-Breadboard-Protobloc-/171260022830
- 100 red leds, 100 green leds: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5mm-LED-Packs-25-50-100-Ultra-Bright-White-Blue-Red-Yellow-Orange-Green-UK-/111061718147
- 5 temperature sensors: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DS18b20-Waterproof-digital-probe-thermometer-temperature-sensor-thermal-/131111240055
- Resistor pack: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/400-Piece-1-4W-1-Metal-Film-Resistor-Kit-001-Assortment-pack-mix-selection-/261233495913
- Jump wires (male-male): http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/65pcs-Male-to-Male-Solderless-Flexible-Breadboard-Jumper-Cable-Wires-/300894809685 Jump wires (male-female): http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/40pcs-Dupont-Male-to-Female-Jumper-Wire-Ribbon-Cable-Pi-Pic-Breadboard-Arduino-/281200991638
- 50 * 6x6x6mm switches: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Quality-Momentary-Tactile-Push-Button-Switch-SPST-Miniature-Mini-Micro-Small-PCB-/180732232689
For more advanced robotics projects, you could start with this: